Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Blueberry heaven

Who doesn't love blueberries?  I love them fresh off the bush, baked in a cake or pie or muffin or bread, as a sauce, or in a jam.  With or without lemon or vanilla or ice cream.  I freeze them to enjoy through the winter.  And can't get enough of them right now.

Among my favorite blueberry recipes is the one below, which I got from the website Coconut and Lime a few years ago.  I don't know how to make pies, but even if I did, I think this one is probably better because there's not much to take away attention from the blueberries.  What there is -- ginger and lemon -- add just the right flavor notes.  This couldn't be easier, a real boon in hot weather.

The recipe calls simply for a graham cracker crust.  I'm partial to custards so I often make vanilla pudding, chill it, and then pour this over the top.  Either way, it sort of stops conversation as people go into a blueberry trance.  Try it.  You'll see what I mean.

5 c fresh blueberries
1 inch knob fresh ginger, grated
juice of 1/2 lemon
zest of 1/2 lemon
½c sugar
¼c cornstarch
¼c water
1T butter
110 inch graham cracker crust

In a medium saucepan, bring 3 c of the blueberries, the ginger, lemon juice and zest and the sugar to a boil.

Meanwhile, whisk together the cornstarch and water, set aside.

After the blueberries come to a boil, stir in the cornstarch mixture and cook 2 additional minutes.

Remove from heat and stir in the remaining 2 c of blueberries and the butter. Pour into the prepared pie shell.

Refrigerate for at least 6-8 hours or up to one day before serving.

1 comment:

  1. YUM!! Now why didn't I pick more blueberries when I had the chance? Augh! 10 lbs isn't enough! I will use the recipe next year unless I can find decent blueberries at the store.

    ReplyDelete